Friday, August 28, 2009

Example of NewsBlog

1. Includes a link to the article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/business/28boeing.html?_r=1&ref=global

2. Includes a short summary of the article.

This article outlines Boeing’s struggles as it prepares to launch its 787 Dreamliner passenger plane. It is one of Boeing’s most popular programs which is projected to bring over 100 billion dollars in sales. Boeing has experienced several problems managing this project and is over 2 years behind schedule in delivering their first Dreamliner.

3. Identifies the topic(s) from our syllabus that the article covers.

1.5 External Environment, 5.1 Production Methods, 5.4 Quality Assurance, and 5.8 Project Management

4. Applies one business tool/theory/technique to the organization.

1.5 External Environment

The article mentions a few economic external factors. Air travel and freight shipments have decreased recently and the airline industry has lost approximately $9 billion this past year. This will affect Boeing since their main customers are airline companies. If these companies are losing money, then they may not be able to purchase new planes from Boeing. Also, with the rise of fuel costs, airline companies are looking for more fuel-efficient planes to cut costs. Based on this factor, Boeing should continue to produce planes like Dreamliner that are lighter and more fuel-efficient than existing planes.

4 comments:

  1. Cool article. I see what you mean about how external factors effect a business. I wonder what other external factors are effecting Boeing? I noticed that you identified topics from unit 5 – Operations Management within the article. I am impressed since we haven’t covered that unit yet. I can’t wait to learn all the neat stuff that will be covered in that unit. I looked into 5.1 Production Methods. Boeing’s Dreamliner looks like an example of job production. Don’t you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Mr. Opfer. Cool article. Are we allowed to post some personal things on the blogs as well for classmates to see and share, or is this meant to be strictly for business? Thanks!

    Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr. Opfer, Cool article.

    I have a very simple question with regards to the rubric. I was wondering what exactly is meant by 2, 3, or 4 days. Does that mean by class time? Or the whole day.

    For example, if I finished my blog afterschool tomorrow, would that still be considered to be just 2 days? Or does that boundary end by the time class ends tomorrow morning?

    Thanks.

    PS. Hi Lloyd. Cool comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lloyd and Alex-

    You guys are cool. I have updated the rubric. Also, let's keep our blogs business-like.

    Mr. Opfer

    ReplyDelete